Personal "exemptions" authorized by the Massachusetts General Laws may provide property tax relief for certain individuals. There are several types of exemption, including:
- In extreme cases, individuals who are aged, infirm and impoverished
- Minors whose parent is deceased
- Persons over 70 years of age
- Surviving spouses
- Those which apply to the legally blind
- Veterans who have become disabled as the result of wartime service and have a disability rating of at least 10%
The qualification date for all exemptions is July 1st, and each exemption has its own specific requirements. For information on an individual basis, a property owner should contact the Assessors or refer to the back of the tax bill. Personal or financial data submitted for the purpose of applying for an exemption is not a public record.