The Veteran’s Grave Officer:
- Serves as burial officer for indigent veterans and their dependents
- Coordinates with undertakers to ensure dignified burial of veterans and their dependents
- If a resident of the community, serves as Veterans’ Graves Officer in ensuring all veterans’ graves are suitably kept and cared for
- Ensures sunken gravestones are repaired and replaced or other similar services that may be necessary to restore and maintain such graves and their surroundings in an orderly condition.
- Procures and arranges placement of burial markers; maintains a current listing of deceased veterans and their burial sites
- On each Memorial Day, ensures a flag of the United States is placed on each veteran’s grave in local cemeteries