The Highway Department reports to the Town Administrator who reports to the Board of Selectmen. The Highway Department manages the Transfer Station for trash and recycling. The Superintendent of Streets oversees the Town Engineer and works closely with the Tree Warden.
Read the Town of Dover's Public Works Operations Consolidation Study completed in March 2021 here.
The Highway Department also maintains and repairs all of Dover’s roads, streets, street signs, sidewalks and subsurface drainage systems to provide for safe vehicular and pedestrian traffic. This encompasses:
- Cleaning streets, catch basins, drains, and culverts
- Installation and repair of berms and curbing
- Issue street opening (driveway) permits
- Issue trench permits
- Maintenance and operation of the Transfer Station for trash and recycling
- Maintenance and repair of guardrails, street signs and traffic lights
- Maintenance of town vehicles
- Street resurfacing, repair and crack-sealing
- Winter maintenance of streets including snow removal, salting and sanding
Dover Town Code Description of Responsibilities
There shall be a Superintendent of Streets appointed annually by the Board of Selectmen. The Superintendent of Streets’ duties and authority shall include, but shall not be limited to, those specified in Massachusetts General Laws (MGL) Chapter 41, Sections 66, 68 and the Dover General and Zoning Bylaws.
View the full Dover Town Code.