- Boards & Commissions P Through Z
- Planning Board
News and Updates
In early December 2022, the Planning Board met with its consultant, Ted Brovitz of Brovitz Community Planning and Design, to begin the process of transforming the Village Center Vision into recommended bylaw changes to bring before the May 2023 Town Meeting. On December 10th a public hearing was conducted with 25 Dover residents to explore the Center's current conditions, strengths, threats, and opportunities. The conversation was dynamic and thoughtful. The presentation can be reviewed here. Notes from the 3-hour discussion can be found here.
To see the recently completed Housing Production Plan, please go here.
For more information on the Village Center Visioning, please go here.
To see the Draft Hazard Mitigation Plan, please go here.
For more information on the Red Robin application, please go here.
- 7:00 pm on Monday
- Twice monthly
- Check the Town Calendar for meeting dates and times.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Frequently Asked Questions
Please review our FAQs here as they provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding planning, property lines, zoning and more.
- Carol Lisbon, Chair
Term Expires: 2024
Email Carol Lisbon
- George Sidgwick, Member
Term Expires: 2025
Email George Sidgwick
- Bill Motley, Member
Term Expires: 2026
Email Bill Motley
- Jody B. Shue, Vice Chair
Term Expires: 2023
Email Jody Shue
- Scott Freedman, Member
Term Expires: 2027
Email Scott Freedman
- Valerie Lin, Associate Member
Term Expires: 2024
Email Valerie Lin
The Planning Board is charged with broad statutory responsibilities under M.G.L. c. 41 s. 81- A/D to guide the physical growth and development of Dover in a coordinated and comprehensive manner. More specifically, the Board is legally mandated to carry out certain provisions of the Subdivision Control Law (M.G.L., c. 41, s. 81K-81GG) and of the Zoning Act (M.G.L., c. 40A).
The legal responsibilities of the Planning Board are found at the local level in the subdivision regulations of the Planning Board and in the town’s zoning by-laws.
The Planning Board’s primary responsibilities include:
- Administering subdivision regulations - A subdivision is a parcel of land that is divided into 2 or more lots and generally requires the construction of a new road.
- Reviewing and endorsing Approval Not Required plans (PDF) that do not show a subdivision
- Serving as the Site Plan review board for development proposals in the business, manufacturing and medical/professional zones
- Serving as the special permit granting authority for personal wireless communications facilities, and multifamily residence developments
- Administering the Scenic Road Act regulations and issuing permits for removing or altering stone walls and trees along designated Scenic Road roads
- Administering the sign bylaw and regulations issuing permits for signs
- Reviewing and proposing amendments to the Town Zoning Bylaws
- Writing and updating the Dover Master Plan (PDF)
Dover Town Code Description of Responsibilities
A. There shall be a 5-member Planning Board elected on a rotating basis of 1 member each year for a 5-year term. The Planning Board’s duties and authority shall include, but shall not be limited to, those specified in Massachusetts General Laws (MGL) Chapter 41, Section 81A et seq.
B. An associate member of the Planning Board shall be elected at the Annual Town Election for a two-year term. Any vacancy in the position shall be filled in accordance with the procedure prescribed in Chapter 41, Section 81A, of the Massachusetts General Laws. The Chairman of the Planning Board, when acting as special permit granting authority, may designate the associate member to sit on this Board for the purposes of acting on a Special Permit application in the case of the absence, inability to act, or conflict of interest on the part of any member of the Planning Board or in the event of a vacancy on this board.
View the full Dover Town Code.